:: LANDLORD / TENANT
HOW ARE LANDLORD / TENANT DISPUTES HANDLED?
Landlord and tenant rights disputes typically are governed by state property and contracts law. A lease or a rental agreement defines the length of the rental term, the price paid, penalties for late payments, and the amount of notice required before either the landlord or the tenant can cancel the lease. The landlord law invokes the duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition in view of all the circumstances. Additionally, state or local landlord tenant law sets the requirements for evicting a tenant, which may occur for only a limited number of reasons before the tenancy expires.
GENERAL OBLIGATIONS OF TENANTS »
- Pay rent on time.
- Use reasonable care and not damage property.
- Properly dispose of garbage.
- Refrain from taking on additional occupants or subleasing without the landlord's written permission.
GENERAL OBLIGATIONS OF LANDLORDS ››
- Make property habitable before tenants move in.
- Make and pay for repairs due to ordinary wear and tear.
- Refrain from turning off a tenant's water, electricity or gas.
- Provide written notice to tenants when ownership of the property is transferred to a new landlord.
- Not unlawfully discriminate.
Schey, Piller, Alspaugh, & Wong, P.C. can help assist you in finding a resolution to a Landlord / Tenant dispute with their experience and knowledge.